Tuesday 19 January 2010

First Visit - Classical Building - Unit 2

After reading the first visit and project requirements I didn't think that I would be able to do this straight away due to the lack of Classical style buildings in my area.

A look on the internet however, proved I was wrong and there were in fact an abundance of buildings locally that were either completely in the classical style or had classical elements to their design.

I chose to visit the Royal Pump Rooms Gallery & Museum in Leamington as I would also have access to inside, as it is a public building. I had been here several times but had never taken any notice of the architecture or design.

I started on the day by taking many photos of the exterior and notes about the design. I didn't do any sketches as it started to rain. Having read the chapter already, I was able to recognise and identify aspects of the design that are in the classical style. I also noticed the elements that had been added or amended, and the parts that although built at the same time, were not in the classical style, but the regency style of the time.

I then went inside to make comparisons as it had been completely renovated about 20 years ago and most of the original features and layout had been changed. In the public areas there is no evidence of classical influences. Some of the rooms have suspended ceilings and partition walls that could be hiding such details.

The museum area provided a lot of information about the history and origins of the Pump Rooms, why they were built, and the original purpose for them. There was much detail on the discovery of the springs, the era and society of the time, and of the medical side to the Pump Rooms. There was not any information though on the architects or builders, or even who funded the build.

The Assembly Rooms form part of the building and are used for large functions. They were closed for decorating at the time of my visit and could only be accessed by appointment. Images I have found on the internet show that they have been decorated in the classical style with marble columns and statues.

Overall, this visit was a real eye-opener for me. It made me realise the variety of buildings there are in Leamington as I had previously assumed they were all of the Regency style without taking any further notice. I now take more care to look at the local buildings and am always finding buildings with classical style elements.

Although I can't always remember the particular names of the elements, the style is very memorable and identifiable.

No comments:

Post a Comment