Tuesday 19 January 2010

Unit 3 - Chapter & film

Daunted in unit 2 by the size of the chapter to read, I decided to make sure I did the reading first this time so that it was done.

It took me approximately 5 hours to read this chapter which is an approvament on my first attempt but still quite a while.

This time I changed the way I made notes. Instead of reading a paragraph and then making a note, I read a sub-chapter or large chunk of text first and then skimmed back over it to summarise and make notes. This meant that I could read and absorb the information and I understood the content and context far better. As I kept stopping and starting on unit 2, I was losing the flow of the text and struggling to make sense of it. Also, making notes as I went meant that they were very lengthy and often repetitive. This time my notes are much more logical and easy to read for quick information.

I feel that this time, I have remembered and understood the text and I enjoyed the reading more. I am definitely on the right track and with more practice I will hopefully be able to do this even quicker.

The following evening I watched the film. Having read the chapter first and having a good knowledge on the subject, the film was easier to watch and gave a very good summary of the key points.

I found that I also enjoyed watching the film as I could sit back a bit more and take greater notice of the images shown, rather than looking away to make notes on it all and missing bits.

The variety of images shown was helpful to better illustrate the message and helped me to understand more and identify characteristics of the works.

I am very pleased with my progress after only 2 units and really fell that my study skills are back in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment