Saturday 20 March 2010

Unit 4 – chapter & films

Chapter 9 Medieval Christendom (reference chapter 7, Early Christian & Byzantine Art) & films 3, A White Garment of Churches, and 4, The Age.

When I have been reading the textbook chapters previously and references have been given to other parts of the book, I have pretty much ignored them. My theory being that I am very limited on time and constantly flicking through the book to find these references eats up too much time and would be possibly distracting.

When I was reading this chapter then I did not look up many of the references. However, at the end of the chapter I realised that this is how I was meant to reference chapter 7. This then meant that I had to skim read through the second chapter to pick up on the links and connections to the first chapter, which although interesting, was frustrating. One study skill definitely learnt.

This was overall though the most interesting section so far. Gothic architecture has always fascinated me and to learn about the history and reasoning behind it was exciting. It found it really good to learn why and how the developments took place, and also to pinpoint the aspects that do interest me, notably high gothic detailing and decoration.

I found the religious influences and logic for many of the changes to be particularly intriguing as I come from a Christian family and have heard some of the ideas before, especially the ‘distracting decorations’ one and so could relate to this slightly. The idea of the churches being built heavenward and the ‘divine light’ of the stained glass also linked to my interest in symbolisms and hidden meanings.

By the end of the chapter, I do feel very confident in looking at buildings and being able to identify the features that make it Gothic. Also, to be able to use these to determine what part of the period they come from and also what influences they may have had from across Europe.

The film narrative did not give me any information that I considered new and additional to the text. I did enjoy watching it though for the imagery. It helped me to appreciate the sheer scale of the cathedrals especially the aerial views showing them in relation to the surrounding houses and buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment