Saturday 20 March 2010

Next London visit - planning

I have planned my next visit to London to view several paintings for various annotations and projects. Learning from experience of my last visit to London, my planning for this trip is quite a bit more in depth and detailed.

I have used the suggested images for each/unit project (except for one, more on this later) simply for ease, and also as several of the suggestions are images that I have always liked and would like to see.

Especially now that I have read about the background and the era they were painted in and can better understand the piece and to put it into context.

I am planning to set off earlier this time so that I am in London for when the galleries open and this also allows for any delays in transport. Other commitments mean that I have to be left London by 4pm so the early start will help.

I have checked out where the paintings are, gallery addresses and opening times, which rooms the pieces are in, and also the best means of transport within London.

I have made a few notes about each painting (and a little thumbnail sketch for the pieces I haven’t heard of before) and a little about the context from my study notes. This reminder will be helpful for the annotations needed for units I haven’t looked at for a while and hopefully it will stand me in better stead to analyse the pieces.

I have created a rough itinery of the day so that I am planned and have a focus for the day. I have allowed approx 45 minutes at each specific piece and approx 15-20 minutes for quick sketches of classical statues for project 3. I have even estimated and allowed for time between pieces for getting from one room/gallery to another.

Also, I have made a list of the postcards required for each unit. I have so far been finding appropriate images from the internet but I do like the idea of having actual postcards. I will look in the gift shops at each gallery to see if there are any suitable postcards there.

Pieces I must see:

‘Antonia’ marble bust at The British Museum for Unit 3’s annotation
Variety of Classical free standing figure sculptures at the British Museum for Unit 3’s project
‘Virgin & Child with Saints’ Altarpiece by Duccio at the National Gallery for Unit 5’s annotation
‘Arnolfini Marriage’ by Jan Van Eyck at the National Gallery for Unit 6’s annotation

Pieces I would like to at least see, time permitting:

‘Bacchus & Ariadne’ by Titian at The National Gallery for Unit 7’s annotation
‘Nymph with Satyrs’ by Nicholas Poussin at The National Gallery for Unit 7’s project
‘Triumph of Pan’ By Nicholas Poussin at The National Gallery for Unit 8’s annotation
‘Allegory of War & Peace’ by Rubens at The National Gallery for Unit 9’s annotation

No comments:

Post a Comment